Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Compassion and Negligence

Some friends and I were having a discussion about the Somalian refugees in our area and I found myself going to that usual bitter place of self-preservation and pride; this time, however, I realized it and was forced to consider it from a new angle.
I've experienced Muslim rudeness and lack of respect (particularly from this group) of personal property (nothing bad, just rude and awkward and the neighborhood is a bit annoyed with it) and more over I've done some studying and I even own a Koran that I keep because a Muslim gave it to me years ago...
But I have very strong feelings against the Muslim faith and I know enough to cause serious distrust of the people who claim to be Muslims.

Because of that I made some generalizations about the people group that though most likely true, were not at all from a standpoint of winning them to the Lord. One of my friends is a baby believer (the very best kind of excited, head over heels, and consumed with her friends who are not believers kind) and she did not take to my generalizations. Of course, she did not think they had truth in them (we trust opposite ends of the media, though I am distrusting of both to be honest) but the discussion that stemmed from that disagreement caused me to realize in my strong beliefs I had lost all evidence (if there ever was anything to leave evidence behind) of compassion for the people behind the religion.

As we talked I felt a little window open in the depths of me letting in some fresh air- the breeze was a desire to put away fear and anger in place of loving those who most need it and being a light to those most in darkness. How blind I have been to see them as anything but people who need Jesus as I do!

Still, many Muslims in our State are trying to convert our laws to match their religious beliefs and moreover they can vote even if they just live here, not paying taxes or speaking our language or even having citizenship in some cases (at least, it is easily done and not challenged enough...). There is still a real battle going on in the USA right now, I don't want to be blind to or idle against the things going on in our country, but at least on my part tactics need to change.
Harmless as a dove, wise as a serpent.
At the very least I need to be praying for Muslims as humans Jesus died for and not only for the protection of my children growing up in a changing country and the laws that protect our way of life.

Also I would like to clarify I don't blame Muslims for the state of our country- I blame the Christians. They sit on the sidelines, get consumed with their own lives- many MANY of my friends didn't know a THING about occupy any street a whole month after OWS started which I find deplorable.
The problem with church today is people get immersed in church and cease to be in the world. What ever happened to being in the world but not of it? So few christians rub shoulders with unbelievers these days- I am looking to find more ways of being in my community and not only interacting with my church body; the world needs to know! My little world needs to expand.
Christians also like to do a lot of tsk-tsking and very little praying. Prayer is key. Really only one of two things we have as Christians to actively fight our Spiritual wars, the other being the Word.

In the end, something must be done about the lack of compassion for people as human beings in my own life. When am I going to learn to love those around me as Christ loves them? Who am I to say anyone is beyond the reaches of His love or that they are another person's responsibility to love? Who indeed.

Lord keep me from being 'just another one of those judgmental christians'!


No comments: