I'll be honest; well, I'll try to be mostly honest.
This week has been very, very hard.
It started with illness a week before Christmas. In hindsight I think we had Influenza A, but at the time all I knew was the girls were getting sick (mommy worry is on high alert) and then suddenly I was running a fever and miserably laying on the bed or on the couch one or both girls in my arms, unable to move from everything awful that comes with a high fever.
Fast forward three days, some how I've survived husband at work while the rest of us are at home sick, and getting ready for a week's absence of Christmas traveling. Somehow. Still feverish and miserable we all climb into the car to head to the in laws.
Fast forward three more days, no longer miserable and feverish but still sick and easily exhausted- not to mention emotionally exhausted from two little girls CONSTANTLY whining and needing me while I am physically at my limit- it's Christmas Eve and we're traveling from my in laws to my parents house.
Two more days later- everyone is on the mend. Finally. But we're all tired and coughing and whiney. Mommy has lost her temper a billion times, the 3 year old bursts into tears if anyone but mommy looks at her. My nerves are fried and I'm not sleeping well- partly because of the kids, partly because of coughing- Christmas went by too fast and not all that pleasantly. We're still away from home and now Daddy has gone back home to go back to work.
At this point I feel like a complete failure. My family has been sick for a week even with all my holistic efforts; I've mostly missed Christmas because I've been completely distracted by how they are feeling or how I am feeling; my kids are whiney and bratty and I can't stand them while at the same time they need me constantly; my nerves are fried and I lose my temper at any given moment...
It is at this point one of my family members steps in to tell me my temper is out of control and it scares them.
It is probably no coincidence the verse of the day on my Bible app was about a wise man receiving a rebuke while a fool rejects it, but at the time all it served to do was send me into a deep depression of hopelessness. My temper WAS out of control. I felt I was suffocating under the demands of my needy kids (they had had every ounce of me for a week, every kid in their position would have been whiney and demanding)... it was all so hopeless. That stupid temper I've fought against for 27 years gets me at my worst after only a week of illness... nothing I can do ever makes a change in it, even when I think I'm making changes. Hopeless!
I responded badly to that family member. I cried a lot. I yelled. I got angrier.
Fast forward another three days. I've always struggled with feeling worthless and the engulfing sadness that takes hold when that thought is entertained- even for a moment. Feeling, again, that I have no control over my reactions- when I know what is right, I know what my kids deserve, I know Jesus for heaven's sake! I should have His power when I am weak!- has me at my lowest. Suicide is just wanting control, at least in my case, but sometimes I feel it would be beneficial for people like my children to grow up without my bad example. What is worse- to grow up without a mom or grow up with a horrible mother? These are the thoughts I entertained. I wouldn't take pills, nor jump from anywhere high, but I thought a knife to the wrists might be slow but the best plan. Then I thought that might be too messy- what if Margaret saw? That would be a horrible memory to grow up with too.
We went to church- husband not knowing anything because he had been away from home the previous night and we had been away before that. Anyone who talked to me received angry, rude, remarks. I'm no good at lying, especially in small talk, so everyone who asked me how I am either would get the real answer and tears or anger and defense. At least I didn't cry in front of any of them, selfish, yes, but I'd rather them think me a bitch than break down in front of everyone. How weak and stupid!
Husband was fed up by the time we left church and half hour after that it all came out.
At times I think husband and I are perfectly matched- this was one of those times. He asked me straight out- who gave you the right to judge yourself? Only One has that right and He sees you as pure as Jesus (who bought you with HIS blood!). Each day is a new day.
Somehow, that was exactly what I needed to hear.
Sadness and depression is sitting at my door, I can't seem to shake it, but today I've been choosing to not let it in. The world is a dark place, getting darker by the hour. My failures are immense and impossible for me to climb out of, on a daily basis! But it is not for me to judge.
I feel like I am starting from scratch, again, with what it IS for me to do. Seek the Lord? Yes, but oh how He seems so far away! Thank Him for my many blessings? Check. Do my best to put my children first? Check, and recheck, and start over again and check.
The dark outside.
The dark inside.
The small narrow path of hope, dimmed.
Deep breath, in fact, just keep breathing and don't entertain the thoughts.
Bought at a price, but bought. Bought! Focus and refocus on truth.
In the end I cannot focus on my problems, not even for a second. I get so easily engulfed! I must always focus on hope and the Love that loves me, purposefully making steps to do what is right. Falling, hard and low, but getting back up (don't stop to wipe off the mud!) and stepping after the right again.
This week my heart fell hard and very very low, but, I got back up and focused on truth.
That has, and always will, made all the difference.
4 comments:
Beth,
Sucks to have those feelings, but thanks for being real. Many have entertained suicide at one point or another, How can you not in this mixed up world.
Please, if they ever get beyond thought, let's talk about it because there are so many other things that can be done first.
I love you Beth.
Dad
Where does one even start after reading this. I don't know how to help you as a sister, I mean I feel like my attempts to help have been thwarted and thrown away. I love you, you are my only sister and will always be one of my closest confidants and friends. Please give me a way to help you if I can, even if it means just watching your kids one day a week!
My friend,oh how alike us oldest girls can be. I have been where you are and I struggle. I go back and forth and just like you I know the truth of our Lord and Savior. My Mother once told me that I have always been sensitive to God's spirit, but those who are sensitive to God also are sensitive to the evil one. I can eel God move often in church and others times I can feel the heaviness of satan pushing against others drawing close to God. I can tell you sweet girl that even through I know these things I have struggled with all you say. I won't offer you a magical cure, I don't have one. I do know that when I confess these feelings a weight lifts. I know I don't want others to fix me. For me speaking outloud even in an empty room the truth that I was bought by the Lamb with his blood and that I rebuke all thoughts brought by the evil one helps me. I will say it over and over in different ways and say truth outloud. For me there is power in speaking the truth even though I know the truth in my heart. I will say outloud that my children need me, that I am a daughter of the King, that there is hope for my future. I also speak my weaknesses. I am controlling, I don't like what I look like, I get angry easily and am judemental of others...but I always end this with God wants to use me with my faults.
I'm glad you are real, that you are speaking these things.
I can't take care of the kids, but I can get coffee or bring coffee or frozen dinner. I'm also avaliable to chat anytime...I maybe half asleep but I would wake up anytime.
Love ya sweet girl and you and your family are always in my prayers.
Praying for you. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Post a Comment