So this is going around Pinterest and it completely sums up what I'm trying to teach my feet to do while going through a study about being a Godly wife.
That sounds so romantic- being a Godly wife. I picture long prairie skirts and sweat, beaded perfectly on a smooth brow, while ringlets escape a beautifully thrown together last minute bun of hair (silky and smooth, not the coarse straw stuff you get with age and a few kids) while perfectly manicured, though well worked, hands make baked goods and homeschool children... all while the smiling face is gentle and kind. Of course the husband responds with kisses and general Godly leading. And life is butterflies and rainbows, storms occasionally, but the kind that are weathered and don't wear out.
In reality, a Godly life looks like Sarah... trusting your God, by trusting your husband (yes, straight up, your husband) even when he has a bad history. It looks like being beautiful, very beautiful, but tossed to the side because your husband acts idiotically, based on fear. It looks like living a life of travel, watching your dreams fade into non-existence, calling your husband "lord" even when he sleeps with your maid and she gets YOUR dreams in the form of a son...
Let me put that another way.
It means setting your attitude aside and saying I trust you honey, do what seems best to you, "do(ing) what is right without fear of what your husbands may do"* even if that means he does the worst possible thing. After he does the worst possible thing (because we all know Abraham did, more than once) "not respond(ing) to threats with fear"*, still calling him master of your home, leader of your relationship, chief of your family, the one who has authority.
Personally I find saying all that of a person who consistently makes mistakes of magnitude is not only a threat to life and happiness but purely idiotic; but then the Word of the Lord is foolishness to those who don't believe, so it must be asked, DO I believe?? Really the former paragraph is only a rewording of 1Peter 3:6, the living and active Word of God... it's hard to swallow.
In my opinion it must be taken with a good dose of "motive has meaning" as Damian Kyle says often in a study I'm listening to; am I truly motivated to follow the Lord? Am I motivated by love? Am I, as a believer, motivated to follow the Word, word by word, and do what it says?
Are you?
Cheers to struggling on; onwards and upwards!
It should be said that if I actually succeed in being a Sarah-like wife it will be "a work of the LORD only" as a friend of mine aptly said. (^_^) To Him be the glory and may he be glorified in this seemingly impossible feat.
*1 Peter 3:6b NLT and CEB

No comments:
Post a Comment