Example, have you ever been approached by a more "mature" christian, or at least a much more "active" one, who asks you if you can serve in such and such ministry? You say no, you have a job or that is family night, etc. and then they'll start the manipulation, I mean, they'll try to convince you by saying something like, have you prayed about it or are you automatically answering? Looks like your job and family are keeping you from ministry and serving God in the church, how bout I get back to you later.
OR how about this (which was recently broached to our family)- we'd like to draw attention to you so that people can remember to pray for you. In my case I do not think there is anything really Godly about being put in a prominent position so people can "remember to pray for you", usually they just remember you and think they'll pray later, but then the question was put forth, "well, don't you like to be prayed for?"
This interaction did not annoy or flabbergast me, it made me incensed, enraged and furious.
I sat thinking about it for a few hours, wondering if there were any such examples in the new testament where I could find a reason for my anger and a reason why I felt it so very wrong.
I thought of Ananias and Sapphira who lied to look spiritual, but that's not exactly what these people do... they think themselves doing the right thing by "encouraging" you to be more spiritual.
So then I thought of Peter who was often misguided in his attempts to be spiritual and who often jumped the gun because of immaturity, but then again what these people do is a little more than that... it has less to do with personal growth and more to do with what they want from you and how it'll make them look.
I thought of Ananias and Sapphira who lied to look spiritual, but that's not exactly what these people do... they think themselves doing the right thing by "encouraging" you to be more spiritual.
So then I thought of Peter who was often misguided in his attempts to be spiritual and who often jumped the gun because of immaturity, but then again what these people do is a little more than that... it has less to do with personal growth and more to do with what they want from you and how it'll make them look.
Then it hit me, the perfect example of exactly what they do: Satan tempting Jesus in the desert. Manipulation in a Bible based discussion and argument or spiritual truth twisted just a little to make a point or convince you to do/be what you're not currently doing or being. Truly this is a plank verses speck kind of issue, when you're acting more like Satan than Jesus in the name of church ministry something is terribly wrong!
Also, it must be said, I think any Christians first ministry (except the very few who are called to be pastors, but even then...) is to their family, place of vocation, and neighbors. WHERE GOD HAS YOU! Do you think there are many unbelievers who are ministered to because you over exert yourself in church? Much more would your unbelieving neighbor be ministered to if you took the time to clean up your yard and take care of your belongings in a Godly fashion, offer to help them, and kindly deal with them beyond what kindness they deserve.
I wonder that so many Christians are deceived in these matters.
I wonder even more, with prayer, tears and a heavy heart, how to deal with them in a Godly fashion. I want to be kind, but kindness is taken for acquiescence. I want to confront them, but they are so blind and I can not gain the courage without anger. So for now I do the only thing I can do; I anguish over it, blog to get it out so I don't talk (or talk less, gossip is something I struggle with too!), and PRAY.
Oh Lord, please send the lightening!
3 comments:
Yikes.
There's been more than a couple incidents at work where some psycho goes after a girl with using that line: "God told me we're supposed to be together, don't stand in God's way". I don't think your scripture reference is far off, with some of these people it's like some kind of possession.
In your circumstance, I think the anger might be appropriate, if that's what it takes to respond. I think God gives us anger so we can muster up the guts to confront injustice. I've had several instances where I've responded in anger to manipulators ("can I treat you like a servant?" "Not like your servant, I'm the Lord's servant, not yours.")and that was the only way it would get done. If I'd waited til I'd "cooled down" I would've lost my nerve.
If it's a guy I'd let Kevin handle it, though I'm assuming it's not.
I Thessalonians 4:11, there's a bolt for you Boanerges.
Good assumption, that instance was a girl but the interactions I've been having (as I'm sure you can guess) is a people group and not a single person unfortunately. Ugh.
I had to look up Boanerges, haha thanks. Thats a good scripture too. :) Hopefully I can use my anger wisely and tastefully in the next couple months of upcoming frequent interactions.
Post a Comment