Thursday, December 29, 2011

Updates

I went to a movie tonight with my brother- he has been home for nearly two weeks but is going back to his active army job Sunday- so I've been trying to get as much bro time as possible. :) I really am spoiled with a great family! My brother is no exception.

While we were there, just sitting down actually, an older couple (I'd guess they were in their 60's) started up the stairs and the husband all of a sudden fell down. It was one of those times I was glad to have an able-bodied-quick-thinking-and-acting brother who was first to help the guy up. I think he was fine in the end- though the poor guy and his frightened wife missed the movie- and he left with a small wound on his head and rugburns on his face.

I can't explain why it bothered me so much, but it really did. Maybe because I don't know how to offer help in a situation such as that.

Suddenly I am again struck by how helplessly mortal we are. The poor guy looked so broken laying head first down the stairs with his small frail wife standing over him unable to help; how little we can withstand physically and emotionally before death is at our door. How short of a mortal life we have to live for eternity!

Speaking of eternity- I've been trying to teach Margo (at the comprehension level of 2.5 years) what it is to be content with what you have, do unto others what you would have them to do you, and what being deceitful is. It goes something like this- listening and obeying is going to sleep when Mommy lays her down for nap, being deceitful is sneaking out of bed to empty out mommy's bedside drawer and quietly coloring on the bed.

Putting morals and Biblical standards into such simplistic terms has made me think of my own attitude. What I say to her also applies to me- despite the reasons I come up with for them not to. For example, just because I am a grown up and can buy things doesn't mean I have an excuse to not be content with what I have.

It also works with big and little troubles- in my marriage for example, I just want my husband to remember to say good bye to me before leaving the house (this from a previous fight we have had haha, he is still deployed) and then I'll be content... what a little thing that is, remembering to say good bye, that isn't expecting too much from the person who says they'll love you for forever.
Yet-
If I can't be content with what I have, and learn to count it all joy in the little things, how will I ever do so in the big things? If you're waiting for someone else to change before you choose to find joy and peace and patience in your life when are you going to find those things?
Really you could be waiting for forever.

I can't wait for just the right circumstances to be happy and content with where I am in life and with how people treat me; who knows if tomorrow is my last?
I need to learn these things today.
Also, I need to take an EMT class so I am no longer useless.

OH and I hope your Christmas was very merry- mine was amazing and quiet- full of family and old friends, teaching my daughter about celebrating Jesus birthday (even if it is at the wrong time of year), and dressing both girls in the most adorable outfits. :)
Oh and eating way too much chocolate.
And baking a ton for a lot of people, which I love I to do.

Also in highlights- husband survived, unscathed and only with a mild traumatic brain injury (basically bad whiplash) which he is now mostly over, a bomb exploding under the truck he was in when they were leaving Iraq. God is good all the time, especially on December 16th. :)

Cheers to mortality- one day we'll be with Jesus in eternity.
Yes- I am one of *those* Christians.
:)

1 comment:

KaiCeder said...

December 16th has been a good day for a long time. Now we can add Kevin's survival to the list. In addition to that it's the date that your dad and I met twenty eight years ago.