My friend is (God willing!) having a baby tonight.
As I clicked on the link to my blog I absently glanced at the "news" link and my first thought was wondering why such important news didn't make CNN's website. It is both thrilling to the bone, nail biting in intensity, and will make you cry; exactly the kind of news CNN thrives on.
As I consider my childhood friend racked with pain I am scared and my heart aches for her in a deep way that a heart of a long time friend would. At the same time I am filled with happiness for the joy she will have at bringing in new life. If I were to look inside myself right now, down my throat and into my rib cage, I would see sunshine and fields of flowers dancing in the wind while little beths jumped up and down in uncontainable elation. If I go the opposite direction, up through my brainstem into my brain and right behind my eyes, I would find a dark room with a solitary morose figure whispering to God a continuous plea for protection and support of the one in need of it most tonight.
And I only the friend.
What her family must feel tonight!
I was thinking today (and thanking God) how amazing it is that we are entrusted to bring such joy into the world. How amazing that I as a woman may one day get to labor for new life to begin. I don't think I can adequately put it into a description or words of any kind, but I was somehow comprehending a sliver of the gravity each individual human is to God. EACH ONE is created to have a relationship with Him; He loved each one so much and desired a relationship so much that He died for each one... and my body could one day bring one of those beloved's into being.
Martha's is bringing one tonight.
Wow.
What a week. To see both ends of the spectrum so intimately: the pain and awfulness of womanhood as well as the blessing, the uniquely amazing privilege, women have been given.
With gravity, humbleness, excitement and joy, as well as a bit of fear, tonight I can thank God for making me a woman.
Thank you Lord! And please hurry the birthing process for my Murphy and keep her safe.
2 comments:
False alarm. We saw her Friday and she was very pregnant and very cute.
but when she does finally deliver, this will be appropriate. Poor Marta, I pray it's easy.
After I read this, it reminded me of Gen 4, so I went back to read it. Have you noticed how the first and third (and most likely second, but it doesn't say for sure) kids who were born were named by their mom first (even though in chap. 5 it says Adam named Seth, from 4:25 it's clear he's just agreeing with Eve) And she keeps saying "I have gotten a man...with the help of the Lord"-like Adam didn't do anything.
Post a Comment