Sunday, July 20, 2008

So desu ne.

Perhaps I am slow- its been a known fact to some I am sure- but I was trying to wake up husband just now and I was rubbing his fuzzy head. He used to have fluffy hair that was soft like a child's and when he got it wet it would stick up like a white man fro that refused to be tamed. Now, after months of constant cutting to keep the army's strict 'no hair allowed policy', it has turned coarse and a bit heavier.


I wondered at that and started to think (for lack of a better description I will keep it simple- forgive my elementary elaborations)  it is the will to live and survive that drove the hair to adapt. Corny as that may be I started to think of muscle and how it is soft and plushy until you start to strain it and put it through toil; then the muscle becomes firm and hard. 


I guess what I mean to say is how amusing I find the different examples God gives us of how life works. Babies bones, muscles, even hair have to go through toil of growing, being worked, or getting cut in order to grow strong and worthwhile. Spiritually that is something I would rather run from: having to go through toil to grow. Yet basics are basics. If you ask for patience, a pastor used to say, don't be surprised when you are made to wait for something.


It seems to take me a long time these days to understand the basics of anything.

1 comment:

Uriel said...

I was just thinking the other day about kids. They're like high pressure life fountains or something, they overcome entropy and grow new tissue - and then as we get older the life-pressure goes down and we get old, our tissues don't regenerate fully, and we die. It's so wierd that people get old, I can't think of any better explanation than the curse.