Saturday, August 8, 2009

Debut into Mommyhood

It is 9pm and my house is sleeping... all excepting the washer, dryer, and mom.

This week was our first week as a family just being a family; my mom left us after the first week, the second week was recovery and traveling, the third week husband was getting ready for two weeks at drill... and then there was half a week alone, a week of travel, my sister got married and finally we arrive at today. Unfortunately, husband came home last night with some sort of flu so today has been a crazy day of keeping baby away from husband as I feed and take care of her then run downstairs to force feed and take care of him. Finally, when they all fall asleep, its a mad dash to wash dishes, do extra laundry, wash diapers, scrub the bathroom and sanitize every room. It took so much energy I am left with an adrenaline rush to write. Thus is my debut into mommy-hood; where mom takes care of the house, the kids, the sick husband and if she gets sick herself, she still does 89% of the work. (this from being sick 3 times with a 101 degree fever; husband did help but God love him he doesn't know the first thing about washing diapers, etc.)

Whew, that seems like a run on paragraph. I'd fix it, but then I'd have to resort and regurgitate all that jumbled mess... sometimes laundry is easier to handle when you just through it altogether and let the colors run.

For the record, last night after an hour of sleep when I got up to nurse M. and then take care of sick husband only to go to sleep for another hour and a half before taking care of one or the other, I was very thankful for the role God has given me as a mother. I called my own mother in the middle of the night to ask her how to take care of husband and talked to her throughout the day for support, encouragement and a break from the craziness... there is something immensely fulfilling about fulfilling your role in life and in being needed.

I don't know how people with more than one kid survive. Moreover, I don't know how they ever vacuum their houses. Still- I feel very blessed. I am sleep deprived, overworked, and a little starved for adult interaction other than my mom and facebook (you're awesome mom but gmail only goes so far) yet every time I look at my beautiful daughter I am overwhelmingly thankful for every moment. Life truly is a blessing- especially when put in your care.

(Note: God also blessed us with an AMAZING baby- though we literally have been traveling for at least a third of her life she is easy going, not shy with strangers, only gets up once at night to eat, and generally is not cranky. Last night she slept for 7 hours without waking while I took care of husband. I think God was giving me what I needed. ^_^)

3 comments:

Uriel said...

OK, I know I objected on facebook, but after some thought, I'll admit that mom's do most of the work even when they're sick.

KaiCeder said...

Judah, you have now been elevated to one of the smartest men I know. ;0)

Uriel said...

Wow. That was easy!