I've written a few amazing blogs the past week- unfortunately they never made it to page or paper... only thoughts rolling around on the plains in my brain. It is grassy and quite windy right now, blowing sleepy thoughts and (sigh) a too long list of things to get done.
OBVIOUSLY the best thing to do is sit at the computer for an hour and ignore all of the above. (^_^)
I got in a discussion today about a husband doing the right thing versus being selfish as well as where my jurisdiction of "family protector" begins and ends. In my opinion, it ends shortly before it begins right where the ring on my finger is; meaning that is my husband's roll and not mine. Sadly husbands can choose to do a lot of stupid things and the argument was how much do we as wives allow before we take over?
To clarify- the argument was STUPID things, like smoking and doing projects with toxic fumes and things along the lines of potentially dangerous but not immediately deadly. Things along the lines of beating wives and kids, molesting, etc. are outside of the realm of submissive wife in my opinion... respect can still be shown (with discernment) but submission is out the window then.
Anyway.
It came down to (as I am coming to realize more clearly) sometimes the little fights about the little things become the crux of the matter in a bigger picture of salvation. Sometimes a from death to life salvation, but especially in a marriage situation it can mean the difference between a man who LIVES salvation and one who just knows it; ultimately affecting kids, neighbors and so many more.
Applicationally, I can't stand that my husband picked up smoking in the army. It is dis-gust-ing. Someone (who smokes) once described being married to a smoker when you don't smoke as "licking an ashtray every time you kiss". Yes, it is that gross.
My argument lately has been how bad the second hand smoke is for myself and the kids and how adult asthma has been linked to it (not to mention cancer) as well as second hand smoke being had from clothes as if you smoked right in front of a person.
But I disgust myself with these arguments- though they are valid and true- why I feel the need to tear at my husband and knock his intelligence down a notch I do not understand.
Yesterday I sat inside my shell of a being, too exhausted to be me, and listened to an outside annoying whiney voice nag at my husband all day long.
It really pissed me off when I realized it was my own voice.
But now- to paint a different picture.
Perhaps I stop nagging. Perhaps husband chooses to smoke for 5 or 10 or 20 years, even unto death. Perhaps, though, because I stopped nagging, he feels he can trust me more. Perhaps we grow closer and build each other up- being a witness to our children and to the people around us. Perhaps Jesus shines through our marriage and people come to know Him through us. Perhaps we get to heaven and our kids had asthma or cancer and I licked an ashtray every day of my life and we meet (even just) 10 people who came to the Lord because of our witness of Him...
Who knows- perhaps those 10 first met us because they had a smoke break with husband.
Wouldn't that be worth it.
Heck.
Yes.
So now... brace yourself! Shields up, helmet on, take a firm stance and take up your sword! Now I know the truth and what is right, I am convinced, and I fully expect it to get harder to do what is right. (^_^)
Pray for what is right to be done by wives everywhere- that men would be strong and courageous and (perhaps because they were) encouraged by their other half!
No comments:
Post a Comment