The Word is spiritual manna. Anytime I try to forego the Word for a day (life does tend to crowd the space of time I have for cleaning, making food, blogging (lol- which is all quite ironic since our lives were created to be for Him so how is it that "life" crowds Him out?)) my heart gets infested with maggots.
That said, I have had it recommended me to read a Proverb a day. I disagree. There is no grace in the Proverbs, though there is truth. I read Proverbs 14:1 one day and then had a terrible day; all along thinking, I am that woman... but with no hope or grace or Jesus in my Bible time of Proverbs to meditate on my thoughts stopped at that depressing thought. I don't know, maybe its just me, but I think Proverbs is knowledge and can not be read by itself...
I recommend reading a Psalms a day if you have to pick something simple. Right now I am going to read some James and a Psalm.
James and Philippians are my personal faves- they're like security blankets that will sock you in the stomach with truth. You can't help but love security blankets, even if you're holding it crying while it slaps you upside the head with what you've been trying to ignore... stuff like "count it all joy" in a trial when really all you want to do is complain and find something like "cry dear, I know its hard and you deserve a good cry you poor neglected thing".
Though to be honest, I wouldn't REALLY like to find that, but at the time I think I want to find it so in the end a good slap by the blanket is a good thing.
3 comments:
I do the Psalms/Proverbs thing, and I have some laminated pages from my bible up in the shower, so those get mileage every day (ideally). After reading about a security blanket slapping you around all I could think about was the blankie from "The Brave Little Toaster".
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/TotzYFolXmg/default.jpg
nice Judah.
I completely agree with the Proverb thing. Not that it's a terrible book. A Proverb is like an appetizer and I tend to want... steak? Weird analogy but it works for me. So in that case have an appetizer and more on to your main dish.
Post a Comment